Monday, January 23, 2017

Rehab: The Hole In the Stairs


Minor Changes Make Big Impacts




This was a small change in the house that made a big impact.  The stairs are quite beautiful in this house.  The rails are wood with large reclaimed barn-wood banisters.  Off the main stairs from the front door there is a small, narrow staircase that goes to the other side of the house.  
In the original design this other stairway, and anyone walking up or down it could not bee seen from the main family room.  So....I had a GREAT idea!  Lets bust that wall out.  Matt says, um....no, I don't want to do that yet.  :-/   
Well... When he was working on the stairs to remove staples from the old carpet he put a hole in the drywall.  That was all I needed.  I thought it was intentional so I started busting up the wall.  The kids saw me doing this and they thought it looked like fun so they asked to join in.  "Sure!" I say.  

Busting up drywall is messy!


 The demo began. Matt didn't really intend on starting this yet but the damage was done, the fun was had, and the hole was gaping.  Sorry Matt.  :*


So then the question was how to redesign it.  Forest and Matt worked their magic and within a couple of hours this was the beautiful result. 

Now, when sitting in the family room I can see anyone sneaking up and down the stairs trying to avoid going to bed. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment