This house has many unique features and I want to take time to show you want we saw. The pictures don't do it justice but its important to show you because of the changes we have made.
Next we ventured upstairs.

I don't have any pictures of the stairs from our first walk through but here is what they look like. The stairs are normal but have a split off the platform to a tiny short staircase in the back by my office. This was interesting. But the carpet was old and I don't think the previous owners took their shoes off ever. The cream colored carpet was grey and stained with spilled drinks and worn out.
At the top of the stairs to the right we saw a open lofted area that overlooked the dining space and the front foyer and front door. It had hardwood floors in a squared pattern and backed up to the back of the fireplace chimney. In this space the ceiling was black from soot and the brick at the top of the chimney was stained from roof leaks. 
As we looked toward the front door across the wooden beam we observed another bright window and where one would expect to see a grand chandelier, in this beautiful foyer, was a small, strange light fixture. That didn't make sense to me. Did the previous owners take the chandelier or is this what they installed? But I thought this room would make a nice study area for the kids and our roll-top desk would fit perfectly.
Behind us were the bedrooms. 1...2...3...4 doors and one was a bathroom.....hmmmm. I thought to myself, aren't there were 4 bedrooms. We walked into the bedroom on the right, the door was closed and wouldn't stay open. Whoosh! We were, once again overcome with smells. This room smelled a lot of smoke, pets, and stale air. The carpet was PURPLE, dark purple and stained white,
from what I can only presume is pet urine! GROSS! It was also coming up by the door and fraying in many spots. But the room had a huge window seat and great pitched ceilings. This was the only room in the house painted. It was a glossy mint green, painted on only a portion of the room....to compliment the purple carpet???

The next bedroom was bright and didn't smell as bad but the walls were a mess and the carpet was gross. This room was blue, dark, dark blue stained with pet urine again. It had large walk in closet too.
Another thing I was really liking about this house at this point was all the wood. Thick wood baseboard, thick wood used on the stairs and around the doors, wood around the windows...and the windows are canopy windows. They open from the bottom and hinge out. I loved this because one of my favorite things to do is open windows. In our last several houses the windows went up and down and in the rain we had to close them.
Back in the hallway we looked in to the bathroom. Its a unique bathroom as you can see from the picture.
To the left is the granite countertop and sink with a mirror. They installed a big ball light above the mirror....like something you would see in a closet. The cabinet and drawer you can see in the picture open only as far as the trim on the broken pocket door. On the right is a giant linen/storage cabinet. And if you look deep beyond the pocket door you will see the bathtub. Look closely... that tub is recessed into the floor. That was something I had never seen before. Next to the bathtub is the laundry shoot.
2 more things about this bathroom that were interesting was the skylight where the shower/tub is and they actually cut a window into the wall above the pocket door so the dressing area gets natural light too. Lastly was across from the shower head was this: We wondered about a door in the purple and green room that had a jimmy-rigged florescent light. Here is the reason!
OH MY! I wanted this house then. A boulder in a gigantic shower?? Remember I said we had just redid our master bathroom? Well it still wasn't as nice as this. It was nice and cost us big bucks but....... I thought, so what about a single sink when we can fit both of us in this shower and sit on a boulder too! But that wasn't everything still. Under that picture window that overlooked many trees and the horizon was a 2 person jacuzzi with a water heater! Yep! Good! When can we move in?
At this point I really wanted the house. I could tell Matt was loving it too but we knew there was so much to do and repair and so much $$$ that would be needed to fix it up and we still hadn't found a 4th bedroom. Could it be in the basement?
Next we ventured upstairs.
The next bedroom was bright and didn't smell as bad but the walls were a mess and the carpet was gross. This room was blue, dark, dark blue stained with pet urine again. It had large walk in closet too.
Another thing I was really liking about this house at this point was all the wood. Thick wood baseboard, thick wood used on the stairs and around the doors, wood around the windows...and the windows are canopy windows. They open from the bottom and hinge out. I loved this because one of my favorite things to do is open windows. In our last several houses the windows went up and down and in the rain we had to close them.
Back in the hallway we looked in to the bathroom. Its a unique bathroom as you can see from the picture.
Finally we come to the last bedroom on this floor. We are still looking for that 4th bedroom.....
The master bedroom. The room seemed small as we walk in and down a step into the room. To the right was a doorless bathroom..... and ahead of us was the spot where the bed would go. They had theirs there too. Evidence by the massive stains on the carpet. 
The ceilings in this room are very angular with the ugliest lightbulb lights. Some were just a single lightbulb, like you would see in the attic or basement and others were rusted white directional 3 ways. What is with the lights???? The ceiling being so low in the corner and the strange lights are what I think makes the room look small. But this room has a door to the left. And trough that door is a balcony! A balcony off the master bedroom????? WHOA! We stepped out and, squish! Yes there was snow but something did not feel right under our feet. Rotten! The deck was not safe, it was rotten.
To the right is the closet. Its a good size closet! It has a skylight. Bonus! And at the other end of the closet is a door.....is that the 4th bedroom? We opened it tentatively and entered.....the red room of pain!! Just kidding. It's a HUGE attic! Lots of storage behind the back wall of the bedroom. Not a 4th bedroom. But why not extend the master or..... I don't know what. But, storage is great! And not having to climb a ladder and squeeze through a small hole in the ceiling would be very convenient!
Back out in the main room is that doorless bathroom.....Now I don't know about you but I like a bit of privacy when I pee..... The toilet was in plain view from where the bed would go. A door would be needed here. So this bathroom... Wow, I have never in my life seen features as the ones in the master bathroom. Firstly, it only had one sink, and it was crusty with hard water, in fact all the plumbing I had seen, I realized, was crusty with hard water. $$$ Water softener needed ...
Back to the bathroom. Ok, I hate sharing sinks with my husband, he gets toothpaste everywhere but who could focus on that when out of the corner of my eye I saw something strange. Wait for it.......
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Yes! A BOULDER! And granite floors and counter and shelves and tub surrounding. It also featured a giant shower with many shower heads; floor to ceiling slate tiles! There was also another picture window and a high window in the shower!
At this point I really wanted the house. I could tell Matt was loving it too but we knew there was so much to do and repair and so much $$$ that would be needed to fix it up and we still hadn't found a 4th bedroom. Could it be in the basement?
No comments:
Post a Comment